Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 4: Surprisingly OK!

So when I woke up today I figured I'd do the baking soda wash and apple cider vinegar rinse again.  I didn't have my husband around to hand me the goods while I was in the shower so I had to set everything up right outside it and open the door and reach for them when I was ready which was a complete pain in the ass.  It took forever to feel like my hair was completely saturated... normally when I shampoo my hair I let it get wet for awhile because my hair is so thick and wiry that it just doesn't wet as quickly as you'd think.  Normally I shampoo it once and it doesn't lather or feel satisfying so I shampoo again and its like it just works better the second time.  I didn't really know how to work the water in without the shampoo but I guess it went okay.

I shook about 1 tablespoon of baking soda into my son's bathtub rinse cup and mixed some water in.  I'd read that it should make a paste and that I should work it into my roots... it didn't really make a paste... it seemed really watery so I added some more baking soda and it still didn't seem pasty.  I didn't want to go overboard, though, so I just went with it... I worked the watery gritty mixture into my roots... or tried, anyway.  It seemed really hard to get into the roots.  It felt like I was washing my hair with chalk mixed with paste.  I had woken up late and got kind of freaked out and worried what I'd do if my hair was a total mess, but figured I'd just break down and shampoo if it was awful.  After rinsing the BS out my hair still felt gritty and gross, but I went with it.  I mixed about 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar with about 1 1/2 cup water and dipped the ends of my hair in it and worked it around, then dumped the stuff slowly over my scalp and tried to kind of work it in as best as I could.  My hair immediately felt softer and I could pull my fingers through it much more easily... I felt much better, but since I have to worry about something I started wondering just how often I really should be doing the baking soda wash and vinegar rinse.  Whatever.

I wish I'd taken a picture.  I tried the plopping again and pulled it half-backwhile it was still somewhat wet and headed to work.  I wondered if it would feel oily at the roots and couldn't wait for it to completely dry... it did dry and it didn't feel oily!  Still felt light and soft and silkier than normal, but because I didn't use any product in it to keep the curls postured they kind of took off on their own and not in a great way.  It didn't look bad but I kept taking it down to feel it and thought it'd look better down (which it did) and then I'd end up pulling it back into a half-back or a ponytail.  My hair is at that awful length where it gets in my face and under my shirt collar because it's still too short to stay behind my shoulders on it's own, so while I know I should've left it down I just couldn't handle it.

Overall I'm pretty happy especially considering I didn't have to rewash it.  The BS wash/ACV rinse worked just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment