Monday, April 4, 2011

Progress on Day 9!

Well today makes me feel better about my shampoo-less decision thus far.

This morning I simply rinsed my hair and sort of scrubbed with my fingertips in the shower... a water-only wash is what I guess its called in no-poo lingo. When I got out of the shower I wringed (wrang? both appear as spelling errors, but whatever) it out, brushed it, then plopped it with a normal towel. I'm finding that my hair is still a little frizzy and wonder if a microfiber towel (which is what I see other no-pooers suggest) would make a difference. After about 20 minutes I let it down and it looked pretty good... I decided to try leaving it down all day instead of pulling it back.

I also had time before I had to go to work and decided to try a hairspray recipe an anonymous poster posted on the no shampoo experiment blog I constantly refer to in these posts. I didn't do the recipe exactly, though. I put about 1/2 cup of water with a little over 1/2 Tbsp of honey in a measuring glass and heated it in the microwave for 90 seconds, then stirred it and added about 2/3 Tbsp vodka, then stirred it. I put it all in a would-be cleaner spray bottle (you know, the kind you can buy at the dollar store) that had never been used. I left it uncapped and put it in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes to let it cool and then sprayed it on my hair. It didn't spray the way a normal hairspray bottle would've and so I had some drippage, and I also got some on my arms. Once it dried on my arms it was pretty hairspray sticky-like, which I took as an excellent sign.

I tried taking a picture myself (the first pic below) but am so shaky it didn't turn out well, but whatever. My hair looked styled all day, though I endured gnarly rain and wind, so I take that as a good sign. Still kinda frizzy, but I'm attributing that partly to the rain and wind. I had Nate take a picture just now (second pic) and I think it looks all right after a long day and weather.





I'm pretty happy with things so far. I still can't wait to get a trim but with my work schedule and Nate's job hunting it's not easy to find the time. Also, I am noticing that my hair smells like..... hair. After the honey-vodka smell went away I would occasionally smell plain old hair when I'd whip my head around or something. It's not a bad smell but it certainly doesn't have a shampoo smell.

I also found two .17fl oz bottles of essential oils today off my work's free table... I snatched 'em up in case they might be of use... Neroli (Citrus Aurantium Dulcis) and Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus Globulus) oils. I haven't had time to do much research but a quick Google search tells me that the eucalyptus oil can be used to stimulate hair growth. I'm definitely interested in that, but am hesitant to rub oil onto my scalp when I'm not shampooing. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment